Alnwick Playhouse needs a dynamic and experienced Art Director / CEO to take on its role and work strategically with the Alnwick District Playhouse Trust (ADPT) Board of Directors. You will build on a solid foundation and join in an exciting new phase in Playhouse history where a new leader can develop a strategy and vision for the Playhouse and the role itself.
The Alnwick Playhouse is firmly established as one of Northumberland’s premier small-scale venues and cultural hubs with a diverse range of artistic activities attracting top international and national artists in music, theater, dance and dance. cinema to non-professional shows organized by local community groups that attract more than 55,000 visitors per year.
The Playhouse features a fully refurbished and refurbished 262-seat auditorium, professional gallery space and a hub studio, with an upgraded cafe area and a beautifully refurbished Playhouse Bar. The site is run by the Alnwick District Playhouse Trust (ADPT) charity and recently the building has been fully restored and repaired to the highest standards following a £ 3.2million refit. The Playhouse is now joined by the Northumberland County Council Library and Visitor Information, which places this beloved arts center at the heart of the community.
The role involves responsibilities in three areas.
- Provide strong and inspiring leadership to enable ADPT to achieve its artistic goals in a changing cultural and business environment. Develop and implement a diverse, well-planned, high-quality rolling program of professional and community arts events and activities, both at ADPT and Outreach.
- Research, commission and support emerging and established arts organizations and individual artists, ensuring a high level of new and commissioned works and supporting the development of relevant skills.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with local authorities and Arts Council England in planning and implementing arts development strategies capable of having significant impacts at the regional level.
- Build and maintain other effective collaborations, partnerships and networks in pursuit of ADPT’s artistic goals. Ensure that effective contractual agreements and obligations of artists are in place and that they adequately protect the interests of the company.
Strategic and commercial development
- Work with the Board of Directors on the next phase of the Playhouse’s strategic planning which will involve making decisions on the allocation of its resources, identifying effective collaborations and partnerships, including productive relationships with funders , in order to support the new vision.
- Further develop the fundraising and marketing strategy, diversify revenue sources and achieve relevant fundraising goals.
- Identify, negotiate and negotiate the terms of grants and other funding agreements and develop the widest possible engagement in the work of ADPT, to uphold the organization’s commitment to accessibility and affordability.
- Build and maintain a prominent and positive public profile for ADPT, including representing the organization at external events and in the media.
- Maintain a positive, open and responsive work environment and cultural ethic at Alnwick Playhouse conducive to the development of new works and the achievement of high standards of artistic endeavor.
- Have overall responsibility for managing the finances and resources of the business.
- Manage staff as specified in the line management structure, leading an effective team of staff and volunteers to carry out the company’s mission and the operation of its day-to-day activities.
- Have overall responsibility for the administration of all contractual relationships entered into by the company and all relevant legal compliance matters.
The Board of Directors is clear that strong and determined leadership is essential to our continued growth and success, to our ability to thrive and to meet the wishes of our clients, staff, funders and our trustees.
If you have the following essential experience, apply for a complete application package.
- Organizational, strategic planning and leadership of high level people
- Solid experience in the management of theater / art venues
- Artistic programming and commission
- Financial direction
- Writing a grant application
- Public relations and media
Please complete the application package below and apply to [email protected]
Closing date November 4 Interviews scheduled for November 10 11